A tenant is responsible for small maintenance tasks in the building. In the list below, you can check what you can and should do yourself.
- Clean the apartment regularly. See Cleaning for instuctions.
- Cleaning of the balcony and shovelling snow as well as cleaning the water outlet openings and keeping them open.
Wet room surfaces
- Observing the wet rooms’ condition in the apartments and informing the caretaker about discovered faults.
- If you bring your own dishwasher: Detaching and attaching of allocation cabinet of the apartments dishwasher as well as the installation of the dishwasher. Important! The installation of the dishwasher should be done by a professional.
- In every Kuopas apartment there is at least one fire alarm/room (except housing with fire alarm system seen below). Check the fire alarm regularly and change the battery if necessary. To buy and change the battery is responsibility for tenant. If the fire alarm is broken, Kuopas will change it.
Fire alarm system
- There is a fire alarm system in Kuopas housing: Taivaapankontie 15, Särkiniementie 30, Satamakatu 26, Torikatu 15, Suokatu 14 and Katiskaniementie 6 building E. The system has been installed to these buildings as a requirement of rescue authorities to improve tenant’s safety. Kuopas cannot switch off the fire alarm system and we have to call teh authorities for testing the system periodically. Kuopas maintenance also will test the system every month. The system cannot be dismantled even if Kuopas or the tenant would want it.
- The fire alarm system transmits the alarm always to the Kuopas maintenance if there is smoke in the apartment caused by cooking/burning or defective buildinghold appliance. The tenant cannot quit the alarm. The purpose of the alarm is to prevent personal damages and also damages to the apartment or the housing. You can read more information on the building information board of your building about the fire alarm system and get instructions for what to do when you hear the alarm.
- If a tenant has caused the fire alarm by his/her action, the maintenance call will be charged from the tenant. It’s the same kind of situation as for example door opening fee. If the tenant has forgotten the key inside, he/she will pay the door opening payment. If this would not be the fact, the fees would be collected from other tenants.
Fridge and freezer
- Cleaning the inside back wall the fridge of ice and keeping the water exit hole open.
- Keeping the freezer frost free and defreezing it if necessary.
Heat, water, air conditioning, and electricity fittings and equipment
- Observing the taps and the toilet for possible leaks (please make a Fault report).
- Keeping the air lock (under the sink) and the shower floor trap clean.
- Cleaning the inlet- and outlet valves (and inlet filter) of air conditioning in the apartment. Clean these with a moist cloth.
- Cleaning the ventilator above the stove and stove filter bulb.
- Buying and changing broken bulbs of the apartment. Special lamps (e.g. in the oven, bathroom and in the refrigerator) are to be informed to maintenance.
If your apartment is not already equipped with the fittings for a washing machine and/or a dishwasher, you can have them installed by ordering the Service from a professional. You need need to also inform Kuopas’ Office about the fittings. Kuopas can’t install the fittings.
A regular defrosting of the refrigerator is important, since an icy refrigerator uses a lot of electricity and does not function effectively. When removing the ice, do not use force or sharp tools. Older refrigerators should be defrosted every few weeks, whereas newer refrigerators defrost automatically.
All our buildings are equipped with a mechanical ventilation system. According to building standards, the air in an apartment must change at least once every two hours on average. This is done with extractors, the operating times of which are timer-controlled between maximum and half speed. The exhaust air is sucked from the kitchen and the bathroom, i.e. from rooms where odours and dampness build up. Obviously, the air changes in all the other rooms as well.
The air which is sucked out by the extractor is replaced by fresh supply air. In older buildings this happens through special gaps on the tops of the window frames, which are deliberately unsealed. In newer buildings there are air vents in the window frames, or on the walls, specially made for this purpose. Unsealed gaps and vents have to be left open. If the flow of incoming air is obstructed, the apartments become like bottles, out of which the extractor is trying in vain to suck out the increasingly damp, unhealthy, and bad air. And as the supply air forces its way in from all possible gaps, usually at floor level and at high speed, it can result in a feeling of draught.
Cleaning the Ventilators
The regular cleaning of the ventilator openings, which can be found in the bathroom and in the kitchen above the cooker, is the tenant`s responsibility. Especially the ventilator in the kitchen quickly builds up with greasy dust, which blocks the vent. An easy and simple way to clean the ventilator openings is to, for example, wet a cloth with washing-up liquid and wrap it around a knife, and wipe the gap around the vent with it. To finish up, give a wipe with a clean cloth. Do not tamper with the vents or their adjustments.
Room temperature and heating
The buildings’ room temperature is set at + 21°C (+/- 1°C). Heating of the buildings begins in August depending on the outside temperature and ends in June. It is forbidden to use your own electric heaters in KUOPAS apartments.
If your room is cold:
- Check that your radiator thermostat is wide open. You can regulate the temperature yourself by scale 1 to 5. You have to turn the thermostat very carefully, don’t use force. If the radiator doesn’t warm up, contact to our service man immediately. If the thermostat has been broken by using too much force, Kuopas is going to invoice a price for a new thermostat from the tenant.
- Thick curtains in front of the radiator will prevent warm air from entering the room
- Check that there is minimum 20 cm of space between the radiator and any furniture.
- Only Kuopas service man can vent the radiator
- Do not close the air vents in the windows, you can adjust them if it’s possible
- Do not adjust the vents inside your apartment, like in bathroom
- In Autumn as the weather gets colder at night time it may feel cold inside because the daytime temperature is higher, and the radiator doesn’t give heat all the time.
If these intruscitons don’t work, please fill in Fault report from our website.
Indoor air quality
If the indoor air feels stuffy and/or the windows steam up, you should first examine the ventilator openings, clean them, and check that the vents for the incoming air are open and that there is nothing obstructing the flow of air. After this you can try to see if the ventilator opening for exhaust air holds an A4 sheet of paper by suction, as it should. If it does not, and the air still feels stuffy, contact the Kuopas’ Housing Office as soon as possible. We will see to the matter and put things right.
Like the regular cleaning of the ventilator openings, the cleaning of the bathroom floor drain is also the tenant`s responsibility. A floor drain quickly builds up with hair and other residue which does not pass through the drain trap, and eventually it blocks the drain. An easy way to clean the drain is to lift the grating and to scoop up out the waste by hand. It may feel a little messy, but it is mostly just your own hair. You can also use a rubber glove. Finish up with clean water and perhaps with a drop of washing-up liquid and replace the grating. In the floor drain there is a cleaning hole, which is sealed by a plug. If this plug becomes loose or comes off, some odours may pass through the air lock. If this should happen, contact the Kuopas’ Housing Office.
Sink Drain Traps
The cleaning of the drain traps in the sinks is done in almost the same way as the cleaning of the floor drain. Bathroom sink`s drain trap comes off usually by unscrewing it, which makes it is easy to clean. All deposits can then be removed from the pipe with, for example, the tip of a knife or some other sharp tool. However, you should not attempt to clean the drain trap in the kitchen sink. Leave it to our maintenance personnel.
If you are uncertain of what to do, contact Kuopas’ housing office.